Challenges.....Solutions Used &/or Possible solutions
1. Not having individual money.
- Provide each member with an expense form and a daily budget that is to be collected with receipts at the end of each day.
- Use personal money and be reimbursed by team lead.
2. Spending 3 weeks with people you have just met.
- Find time for yourself - in lobby, on rooftop, in your room, in the yard, etc.
- Share with your team that you need some down time.
- Plan some outings that you would like to do before you leave Ottawa.
- Discuss food issues/needs and how to address them in-country before leaving Ottawa.
- Be flexible and allow the group to separate for dinner, or purchase meals and meet up at a restaurant or the hotel.
3. Being under budget, yet having to spend personal money to go to the pool where we did our debrief.
- Include the pool expense in the lunch budget, as the pool visit almost always included a drink and a small snack. Often it was lunch and dinner.
4. Organizing events with DAT staff and co-tutors.
- Consider possible activities before departure from Ottawa.
- People are busy and distances can be prohibitive
- DAT staff is busy and sometimes at other workshops or out of country, so plan immediately upon arrival and ensure that everyone is informed.
- Consider getting together for a snack or drink immediately after school.
5. Co-tutors can be busy with other things or live long distances
- Be patient, come prepared for your subject and appreciate all that they do, as they are volunteering their time, the same as us.
- It all works out in the end because the participants and co-tutors are professional and dedicated.
6. Resources for Teaching
- Consider using the in-country budget for resources in Canada instead of Dominica
- Resources, especially for visual and performing arts are quite expensive in country, as are things like sticky notes and CDs or DVDs.
- Plan ahead because not all resources are available or are challenging to locate. We purchased glue in a pharmacy and had to buy finger paint for art. The department store had a number of resources, but at 3 - 4 times the price of buying them in Canada.
7. DAT/CTF Final Debrief
- Investigate the possibility of doing this the day before the closing ceremonies. Many of the teachers wanted to visit with co-tutors when the ceremony ended.